I graduated from college five years ago today. I didn't realize that interesting tidbit of information until I was getting ready for school this morning and put on my bracelet that my aunt gave me when I graduated. She engraved my name and the date of my graduation on the inside. There it was, staring back at me from pretty cursive lettering. May 9, 2003. It gave me pause, I must say. Five years. Hmm.
Five years ago:
- I was 21 years old.
- My parents were still financially responsible for almost every aspect of my life.
- I had never lived alone, independent from anyone.
- I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. When I graduated with my sociology degree, I had no clue where to go from there, I only knew that I didn't want to leave College Station. It was familiar, it was what I had known for four years. So I didn't. I got an entry level job at a bank that barely covered my expenses, lived with my grandparents for a few months until I moved into a house that I really couldn't afford, and worked for 6 months at a job that I ultimately hated, simply because I wasn't ready to move on. When I finally woke up and realized that teaching is where I wanted to be, I ended up breaking a lease, hurting a friend, and letting down a company that had been training me to move up in the ranks. Not a great way to start my adult life.
Today:
- I am 26 years old.
- I am fully financially responsible for myself. I paid off my car 6 months early, thank you very much, and I am proud to say that when I applied for loans for school this summer, the banker mentioned that I have one of the best credit ratings he has ever seen. Not just for people my age, but period.
- I have lived alone for the past 2.5 years, and it's something I am going to miss greatly when I meet that certain someone.
- I am in a career I love, and one that I am really good at. I was chosen last week to speak at a VIP dinner at our district's showcase about the great things going on at our school. I was the only teacher chosen from my school and only one of 5 speakers chosen, period. Afterwards, I had both assistant superintendents, one school board member, one principal of another school, and my superintendent of my district (my boss's boss's boss) come up to me to let me know how much they enjoyed my talk and my ideas and enthusiasm. You have no idea how that made me feel. The best part is, I'm doing what I love. It is one of my greatest joys, knowing that I get to see my kids every day. They drive me crazy, and sometimes I just want to close my eyes and pray for summer, but I really love them. They are the best part of me. I am also planning on going back to school this summer to get my master's in counseling, and I'm so excited that sometimes I just cannot control the giddiness.
Bring on the next five years. It's only getting better with time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment