Friday, April 11, 2008

If only all days were like this one...

Life would be pretty sweet. After all of the stress and havoc that always accompanies TAKS season, I took a well-deserved day off today. I was in bed by 10 last night, feeling like a rebel since I didn't set my alarm. I "slept in" until about 9 am, which might not seem like too late to some of you, but when you normally wake up around 5, 9 feels like noon. My agenda for the day consisted solely of getting my loans together for grad. school and taking it easy. I trotted off to the bank around 10:30, took care of my financial situation, reminded myself that I won't have any extra money for about the next 4 years, and ended my excursion by treating myself to Freebird's for lunch. I took a 2-hour nap after lunch (you know, having expended so much energy in the morning) then went and walked in the park for about an hour. It was pretty much a fantastic day. This is what it must feel like to not work AND have money to spend. Oh, to be one of the two people in the world that are in that position.

I was actually really glad to not be at school today, aside from the obvious reasons, since there were some things going down today that are really going to make some people mad, and I didn't want to be around to hear it. My school is going through major renovations this summer, and my principal revealed the master plan for the building today. I received an advanced copy of the plan yesterday afternoon since I was going MIA today. Basically, she is moving everyone around and changing everyone's teams, and some people are going to go into shock having to work with new people. In case you are unaware, schools at the present time have their teachers work in "teams", made up of 4 or 5 core-subject teachers that all have the same students. It's really a good idea, so that the teachers all have the same students and can back each other up during parent conferences, and it works really well for cross-subject planning and all that great stuff. For the past 3 years, our teams have all been the same, and it seems to be working well. All of us get along well, our test scores are going up, and no big conflicts have come up to my knowledge. My principal has decided that, since we're switching rooms anyway, we might as well switch teams. So next year I'll be working with a different English and Science teacher than I have been, although I'll continue to be working with the same History teacher. It saddens me to move away from the team that I know, but I'm really ok with the change. The teachers that are coming onto my team are great, and we get along well together, so it's not that big of a deal to me. The only thing that gives me pause is that we're moving, which is hard anyway, and we have to work with new teachers. But I'll handle it. Oh, but others are going to lose it. I hope my principal is prepared. Perhaps she took today off as well.

This weekend I am headed down to my grandparents' house for perhaps the shortest trip in the history of weekend trips. My grandparents' 55th wedding anniversary is tomorrow, and my parents and I are headed down to celebrate. My mother, however, has an interview in the morning for a teaching award through her school, so we can't leave til mid-morning. We'll get there around 2ish, hang out with my family, stay Saturday night, then get up really early Sunday morning and head back here. Keep us in your thoughts, cause it's really long trip for less than 24 hours of visitation. Have a good one!

1 comment:

Booyah said...

I miss you!

And I hope you have so so so so so much fun with your family this weekend!

Kive tiy!