Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Hello World...Again

So here I am. I've blogged before, and I miss it. Plus I've decided I've grown up from the baby blog I had before, attached to another, no-need-to-be-mentioned webpage, and I wanted to have something of my very own. Here goes.

I had a FABULOUS day. The 8th grade math TAKS test for the entire state was yesterday, and I feel like I've had a 1000 lb., double-spaced, stapled-together weight taken off my shoulders. My students say they did well. We shall see, in about two weeks in fact. Regardless, it is done. We spent the day today watching "October Sky", a funny yet surpisingly sober look at taking math into the real world. The rest of the school year should pass by in a blur of educational movies, Excel spreadsheet projects, field trips, and anxious glances towards the calendar, calculating exactly how many instructional days we have left. I can't wait!

My night has been spent glued to the tv, as there are impending storms on the horizon (literally, not metaphorically) and yours truly gets a little fearful when the atmosphere becomes turbulent. Let's just say I had a bad experience with softball-sized hail, a '94 Accord, and 2 am panic. Left me with some pretty deep scars that tend to surface in times of bad weather. Springtime in North Texas can be a hotbed of tornadic activity, with all of the accompanying rain, wind, and hail, and it keeps me running to the Weather Channel every five minutes. Thankfully, everything seems to be passing to the north, but I will not rest peacefully until the storms are at least 5 counties away.

In other news - things, they are a-changing in my life right now. I've decided that I do not want to stay in the classroom in a teaching capacity for the rest of my life. I can see the handwriting on the wall, and as bad and messed up as things are right now in public schools, I don't really see anything getting better any time soon. Therefore, in January, I made the decision to go back to school. I want to stay in the school atmosphere, since I love the little monkeys, for reasons unknown to me, so I have decided to become a counselor. I will be utilizing my sociology degree, as well as my unending need to help people, for the low price of one graduate degree and four more years of my life devoted to school. I am actually really excited about it, though. I am attending Tarleton State University, and before you start shouting about gas prices and driving two hours to Stephenville, never fear. There is a brand-new Tarleton campus springing up in Fort Worth, a measly 25 minutes from my house, and it will supply me with the exact degree that I desire. So my summer has already filled up with the starting of classes, not to mention the professional development required of me by my school each summer, as well as a proposed trip to Seattle to visit my very best lady.

Life is about to get interesting, my friends.


2 comments:

Becky Mochaface said...

Awesome dear! Welcome to a big girl blog. Glad things are going well and I'm so happy that you're happy with your decision to go into counseling. I think you'll be great at it. I'm sure the little math geeks will miss you though. Next week we're going to go see The Spazmatics at 8.0s if you wanna join. Because I haven't seen you in forever and would love for you to meet John 2.0 (for the love of everything holy do not ever tell him I called him that. He still doesn't know about 1.0) Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Hey I just applied to grad school there too! But I'm doing administration--but my good friend jenny is starting the counceling degree this summer! I'm sure you guys will be close friends by the time its all done! Hope your doing well! Stay storm free.

Carrie